Elvis: The Best Of British, The RCA Years 1959-1960 from FTD Books
September 5, 2015 - 9:37:00 AM
FTD News, Elvis Book News, Elvis CD News, Elvis News
Elvis Magnetised And Mesmerised. His Music Moved And Inspired A Generation!
Elvis: The Best Of British, The RCA Years 1959-1960 will be released by FTD books this month. The book is the concluding volume of the trilogy Elvis: The Best of British, this time the focus is on the RCA recordings of 1959-1960 and, consistent with the previous volumes, contains over 500 pages. Discover exactly how Elvis, on his triumphant return from army service, reinvented his career at the top of the entertainment world when RCA declared 'Elvis is Back!' before the movie G.I. Blues changed his life forever. His story is graphically told through the music with over FIFTY iconic songs, originally released on the British RCA label, having been extensively researched. Over 1100 rare or previously unpublished photographs, charts and unique memorabilia, create a visually enhanced record of a superstar with unsurpassed acclaim.
Read about the management strategy to keep Elvis' name in the public eye whilst he was away, which not only succeeded in retaining his image of more than just a singer, but as the pulse at the heart of a generation. With its wealth of invaluable information, this book includes: -
° Every known photograph and press cutting of Elvis in Scotland, his only time on British soil!
° Photographs from the pivotal meeting with Hal Wallis in a German restaurant where Elvis' future movie career was mapped out!
° The New York Elvis songwriter who was thrown into the East River by mobsters and the British composer who appeared on a £10 bank note!
This book includes a 30 track CD featuring many performances officially released for the first time.
Hear Elvis personally introduce his British chart toppers during this two year period along with other classic tracks, rare movie versions and audio movie promotions. Add to that, exciting songwriter demos as Elvis first heard them and you will own a unique CD to treasure.
Elvis: The Best Of British, The RCA Years 1959-1960 charts the fascinating facts about Private Presley's RCA UK releases during these two years and Colonel Parker's plan to engineer Elvis' move away from rock 'n' roll to attract a new generation of fans whilst still retaining his crown as 'The King'.
Elvis: The Best Of British, 1956-1960 From a boy to a legend!
Elvis: The Best Of British, The RCA Years 1959-1960 INTRODUCED BY ELVIS
UK Chart Topping Singles
1. I Got Stung - 2:39
2. One Night - 2:51 3. (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I - 3:00
4. I Need Your Love Tonight - 2:17
5. It's Now Or Never (O Sole Mio) - 3:34
6. Are You Lonesome Tonight?Θ - 3:14
More Of Elvis' Introductions
7. My Wish Came True - 2:53
8. A Big Hunk O' Love - 2:27
9. It Feels So Right - 2:43
10. Soldier Boy - 3:49
11. I Will Be Home Again - 3:13
12. Like a Baby - 3:24
13. Such A Night - 3:20
14. Fame And Fortune - 3:06
15. Doin' The Best I Can - 3:42
Magical movie memories
16. G.I. Blues - (Short) Movie Trailer - 0:27
17. Pocketful Of Rainbows (Duet with 'Juliet Prowse') - 2:42
18. What's She Really Like (Shower song) - 0:20
19. Tonight's All Right For Love (German single version) - 2:13
20. G.I. Blues - UK Radio Advert No 1 - 0:18
21. Frankfort Special (Train version) - 2:29
22. G.I. Blues - UK Radio Advert No 2 - 0:19
23. Wooden Heart (Puppet show version) - 2:08
24. G.I. Blues - UK Radio Advert No 3 - 0:17
25. Shoppin' Around (Live nightclub version) - 1:50 26. G.I. Blues - UK Radio Advert No 4 - 0:29
27. Big Boots - (Slow 2nd Version - Take 6) - 1:11
28. G.I. Blues - (Long) Movie Trailer - 2:43
Songwriter Demo Recordings
29. Pocketful Of Rainbows - Vocal: Jimmy BreedloveΘΘ - 2:06
30. I Gotta Know - Vocal: Paul EvansΘΘΘ - 2:14
Total Running Time: 67:42 minutes
Mastered by Jan Eliasson
(Note: Composer credits for the song titles are listed within the book).
Θ This single was recorded in 1960 and made No 1 in January 1961
ΘΘ Courtesy of Ben Weisman
ΘΘΘ Courtesy of Paul Evans
Tupelo's Own Elvis Presley DVD + 16 page booklet.
Never before have we seen an Elvis Presley concert from the 1950's with sound. Until Now! The DVD Contains recently discovered unreleased film of Elvis performing 6 songs, including Heartbreak Hotel and Don't Be Cruel, live in Tupelo Mississippi 1956. Included we see a live performance of the elusive Long Tall Sally seen here for the first time ever.
This is an excellent release no fan should be without it.
The 'parade' footage is good to see as it puts you in the right context with color and b&w footage. The interviews of Elvis' Parents are well worth hearing too. The afternoon show footage is wonderful and electrifying : Here is Elvis in his prime rocking and rolling in front of 11.000 people. Highly recommended.